Friday, August 24, 2012

ICE Silent Death Spaceship Layouts

Back in the mid to late nineties while I was freelancing for Iron Crown Enterprises, I had the opportunity to draw a series of top down spaceship layouts for their Space Ship miniatures game Silent Death.  It was called Silent Death "because in space, no one can here you scream".  I worked with Don Dennis, the line editor and an assistant art director on the layouts which were initially drawn with ink on vellum and then scanned into Photoshop where I created the grey scale drop shadows underneath them to make them pop a bit on the page.

Frequently, Don would hand me an early miniature casting or prototype and say "draw this" and I would literally just lay that sucker on the copier to enlarge and use the enlarged copy to trace for the layout.  Usually I would sketch it out in pencil first on tracing paper and then go back over it in ink with technical pens on translucent vellum for the final layout.  It was a lot of fun and something a bit different than my usual castles, maps, dungeons and floor plans for Middle Earth Role Playing or Rolemaster books.  The illustrations shown here are just a small sampling of the ones I did for them but I don't have the rest of them in Photoshop format with the drop shadows but I could scan them in at some point (they are still on the original vellum).  I'm not sure which books these came out of or what types of ships these are or even what planet they are from but they are cool to look at nonetheless.  I'll drop Don a line and see if he can ID some of them.


Pulsar



Pteradon



Quark



Binary



Nova



Nebula 3




Copyright notice:  All original artwork on this page is displayed for self promotion purposes only and is copyrighted by the original artist, Daniel Cruger.  This artwork may be downloaded and used for personal use only and may not be reproduced for commercial purposes in any way without the express written consent of the owner.


1 comment:

  1. I'd like to make use of these illustrations as part of a freely available downloadable solo game (produced so that isolated folks can have something to play during this pandemic). Do I have your permission?

    ReplyDelete